Sunday, April 17, 2011
US Railways: Akron, Canton & Youngstown Railway
The Akron, Canton & Youngstown Railway was incorporated in 1907 and completed a line from Mogadore to Akron, Ohio, 8 miles, in 1913.
In 1920 the AC&Y obtained control of the Northern Ohio Railway from the Lake Erie & Western. The Northern Ohio had a 161-mileroute from Akron west to Delphos, Ohio.
AC&Y also purchased outright a 9 mile portion of the Northern Ohio from Akron to Copley Junction.
Akron was noted for the manufacture of tires, and over the years tires and inner tubes moving from Akron to Detroit via the Detroit, Toledo & Ironton interchange at Columbus Grove constituted a significant part of AC&Y's freight traffic.
On January 14, 1944, the AC&Y and the Northern Ohio were consolidated as the Akron, Canton & Youngstown Railway. In 1947 AC&Y considered extending its line east to Youngstown for access to the steel industry there and also to serve as a route around the congestion of Cleveland, but nothing came of it.
In 1949, AC&Y's president proposed a 130-mile Ohio River-to-Lake Erie two-way conveyor belt. AC&Y was, understandably, the only railroad to support the proposal or to advocate passage of bills by the Ohio legislature granting right of eminnent domain to the conveyer belt company.
Norfolk & Western purchased the AC&Y in 1964 at the time it merged with the Nickel Plate and leased the Wabash. N&W dissolved the AC&Y on January 1, 1982.
Location of Headquarters: Akron, Ohio
Miles of railroad operated: 1929 - 171, 1964 - 171
Number of locomotives: 1929 - 25, 1964 - 18
Number of passenger cars: 1929 - 223
Number of freight cars: 1929 - 223
Number of company service cars: 1929 - 28
Number of freight and company service cars: 1964 - 1,687
Reporting Marks: ACY
Subsidiaries and affiliated railroads, 1964: Akron & Barberton Belt (25%)
Successors: Norfolk & Western (TWG)
Portions still operated (current as of 1994): Mogadore-Sycamore: Norfolk & Western